Until you become a pet parent you don’t realize how important it is to make sure your home is as cat friendly as possible. If you’ve ever come across a cat video on YouTube, you know that cats are loved all over the world. While they aren’t the most popular pet (that honour is reverse for dogs), cats are still the second most popular pet with 23% of the population. This is a little more impressive in the UK, with 24% of the population being cat owners.
Why We Love Cats
There are a variety of reasons why we love cats. Some scientists believe that humans enjoy being around cats because of the pleasant feeling they get from petting them, while others believe that cats are easier to handle than dogs. Scientists believe that there are even some health benefits to owning a cat, such as petting them helps relieve stress, helps with anxiety, and helps give humans a sense of calm.
For cat owners, there are other perks too. Many cat owners often state that their love of cats is not just down to their affectionate nature. But also the fact they are more independent than dogs and other pets. Of course, this might have been the reason why you’ve decided to take the steps to get a cat. But, unfortunately, while looking through cat videos on YouTube, you also notice that cats get into everything, so you’re probably wondering, ‘How do I create a cat-friendly home?’
Well, while your cat would surely make your home its own without your help, there are various options that can help you turn your home into a cat-safe heaven. Here are a few options you can try to make your home safe and welcoming for your cat.
Tips to Create a Cat Friendly Home
Aside from the obvious of making sure electric plugs and wires are secured and safe. You might also want to check any house or garden plants you have are not toxic for cats. Remember cats like to chew plants and sometimes flowers. You might love a bunch of lilies after all they are rather pretty, unfortunately, these are extremely poisonous to cats.
8 Safe Plats for Cats we Love
- Spider Plants
- Parlor Palm
- Air Plants
- Boston Fern
- Bamboo Palm
6 Cat Friendly Home Necessity’s
- Somewhere clean for them to dine.
- At least one litter tray per cat that’s kept clean and fresh.
- A water bowl or water fountain, you might think they don’t drink water but they do!
- Somewhere comfy to sleep and hide away and we all know cats love cardboard boxes!
- A scratching post to save your furniture, make sure you put this where your cat wants it. Not where you think it’s suitable….If you do that they won’t use it.
- Cat toys to entertain them. Try toys infused with catnip as most (not all, there’s always an exception to every rule) will love to play, rub their faces, and roll all over a catnip toy!
Cats are creatures of habit; they don’t require fancy furniture or expensive food. They thrive on love, affection, and routine (if diner is normally served at 5 pm make sure you don’t miss their deadline!) So there you go our simple tips for how you can create the perfect cat friendly home!