If you are suffering from stress and anxiety using essential oils could be a natural option to help alleviate symptoms. The pressures of our modern world are causing more of us to suffer from stress which is impacting our mental and physical wellbeing.
Aromatherapy is an age old practice that aims to produce an emotional, physical, spiritual, and mental sense of wellbeing through the use of inhalation or massage of essential oils. Pure essential oils are obtained from the bark, flowers, leaves, roots, or fruit of trees and plants.
Essential oils not only smell amazing but their aromas have a positive effect on your health and wellbeing; including stress, insomnia, mood, and anxiety. These natural solutions work by stimulating the areas of your brain that are responsible for emotions.
How to use Essential Oils
Mix a few drops with water and use them in an oil burner or diffuser.
Add a few drops to bathwater.
Use with a carrier oil and massage into skin.
Place a couple of drops onto a tissue and inhale.
Our top 5 essential oils for stress and anxiety
There are many essential oils suitable for stress and anxiety relief you may have to try a few before you find the one. Here we have listed our top 5 favourites we hope you like them!
Basil is a crisp-smelling essential oil that is often used in aromatherapy to awaken the mind, steady nerves, and bring about clarity of thought. This wonderous Essential Oil is steam distilled from the leaves and flowering tops of the basil plant.
How to Use
- When used in an oil burner (a few drops in water), the vapours of basil can help the respiratory tract.
- Smelling the aroma is helpful for clarity and mental strength.
- Can be mixed with a carrier oil to help with insect bites.
- Useful for nervous disorders and stress-related headaches and migraines.
More Info about Basil
This herb is popular in India and has been used in prayer as well as healing for hundreds of years.
The leaves of the plant are chewed as part of prayer ceremonies; they are soaked in coconut water or holy water to distribute after prayers in temples.
Chamomile Roman D Essential Oil has excellent calming properties. And is said to ease irritation, impatience and help PMS and other menstrual and menopausal problems. Roman chamomile yields an essential oil that is light blue when fresh. Usually extracted from the flower and the upper parts of the plant.
- Roman chamomile is an evergreen with a fresh apple smell and is mainly grown in France, Belgium, and Eastern Europe.
- This herb is excellent for skin problems like acne, eczema, rashes, wounds, dermatitis, dry/itchy skin and any allergies.
- Chamomile essential oils help with stress and anxiety and help relieve allergies, hay fever, and asthma.
- This oil is useful in diluted solutions to calm children suffering from colic, irritability, diarrhoea, and teething.
- In a vaporiser, it calms headaches, nervous complaints, and migraines.
Frankincense essential oils have been used to ease anxiety, stress, asthma, bronchitis, laryngitis, and bad coughs. It is a general tonic to the uterus, has a calming effect during labour, and helps ease heavy menstruation. It is most useful during meditation. Frankincense oil is most popular in aromatherapy for its calming properties.
Frankincense essential oil is steam distilled from the resin of the Boswellia carterii tree, of the Burseraceae family, and is also known as Olibanum.
Desi Gulab rose also known as Indian rose has a fabulously sweet fragrance that has a soothing effect on the mind and body. Rose has a calming effect that promotes feelings of relaxation and is thought to soothe headaches and balance hormones.
Less stress essential oil is a natural solution created to combat the usual stresses that comes with everyday life. A pure blend of Lavender, Lemon, and Clary Sage helps relax the mind and provides a sense of well-being.
How to Use
- Take a relaxing bath before bed with your favourite essential oil blend
- Place a few drops of oil on your feet or your palms
- Use oil burners to diffuse the oil throughout the room
- Shake well and apply generously on wrists or back of the neck as desired
- Inhale a few drops on a tissue for quick relief
As this product is made of pure essential oil blends for those with sensitive skin we recommend diluting with a base oil. All our essential oil blends are studiously selected, bought more often than not from primary sources, tested for purity, and subjected to rigorous quality control standards.
You must always consult with your doctor if you are suffering from stress and anxiety. Only use essential oils to complement treatments if your health practitioner agrees they are safe to do so.