Choosing a sustainable beauty routine is hopefully not the latest fad. It’s a lifestyle choice that’s easy to achieve and not only is it good for the environment, but it can also be good for you too. Almost everyone that starts to make those simple eco-friendly swaps embraces and falls in love with the concept.
You will often find products that you prefer to their non-eco-friendly rivals. It’s all about changing your mindset, embracing the new, and swapping one item at a time. And don’t fret if you can’t change everything; if you managed to make a few changes that’s absolutely fine. You’ve made a start in developing a more sustainable beauty routine….way to go you!
Habits to develop for a sustainable beauty routine
- Start looking for recyclable packaging. Many of the products in your beauty routine come in bottles and packaging that can’t immediately be recycled. Switch to products that come in easy-to-recycle packaging instead. Look for products that are packaged in paper, tin, or glass. All of these can be easily recycled. If you love a brand and it’s in plastic check the symbol to see if it can be recycled. If it says PET 1 or HDPE2 on the container, this can easily be recycled through your council’s recycling scheme. You might also consider using a wastebasket for recyclables in your bathroom. This way it not only stays front of mind it also makes recycling easier!
- If something is reusable, reuse it! From reusable makeup wipes to muslin cleansing cloths. There are a number of beauty products that can now be washed and used over and over again. By choosing reusable beauty products you will save money in the long run and you can feel happy knowing you’re reducing your carbon footprint.
- Look for refillable beauty products. Refillable products are starting to become more and more popular since they create less waste. They are usually more economical as you’re not paying for a bottle that you end up throwing away.
- Ditch the disposable razors. While plastic razors are convenient, they can get dull pretty quickly and you’ll end up throwing them out in a month. Switch to a chrome or stainless-steel razor to keep the blades sharper for longer and also create less waste. Plus they look super snazzy too!
Our top picks for a more sustainable beauty routine
To help you with your sustainable beauty routine we’ve compiled a list of some of our favs that we hope you will love.
Your plastic-free skin care routine just got easier with these eco-friendly organic make-up remover wipes. Supplied in a pack of 10 with an organic cotton wash bag to make sure they don’t get lost when your washing machine decides to eat them! These GOTS-certified organic make-up remover wipes are ideal for removing make-up and as part of your beauty cleansing routine. Reusable wipes are a fantastic way of replacing disposable cotton wool
You will love this Rose Quartz Dual End Facial Roller thats has been designed to decrease facial and under-eye puffiness. The cooling stone is a gentle, relaxing tool for facial massage. Rose Quartz, is an important stone used in healing and is renowned for lowering stress and tension as well as being associated with matters of the heart.
Konjac Sponge Konjac sponge black is a natural facial and body cleansing sponge made out of vegetable fibres of Konjac root. The Konjac Sponge has been used in Japan first as a bath sponge for newborn babies for more than 100 years because of its soft texture. This amazing sponge can be used alone or use it with your favourite cleanser for gentle exfoliation. Konjac sponges are a more sustainable option than a plastic sponge and work wonders for your beauty routine.
- Konjac Sponge has a unique propriety layer that can hold water very well.
- When the sponge is saturated with water, its surface is covered by a water layer.
- This water layer on the sponge’s surface constantly acts as a buffer to the skin and the layer forms a barrier between the sponge and the skin.
- As a result, the skin is never in direct contact with the fiber and it will not scratch and damage the skin even with hard scrubbing.
Moonie reusable nail varnish remover pads are the eco-friendly alternative to single-use pads. Handmade using naturally tough corduroy. The ridged fabric makes these pads extremely durable and perfect for removing stubborn polish. Specially designed using black fabric to minimise staining – simply rinse between uses.
Sintra Naturals body and face exfoliating cubes are a zero waste version of the typical face and body scrubs. The bulk of the exfoliation comes from bamboo stem powder which is very mild and rich in natural organic silica and does wonders for your skin.
What’s in the Body and Face Exfoliating Cubes
Bamboo powder is considered a natural dermabrasion without using any harmful tools.
Apricot kernel oil and lemon seed oil for moisturising and anti-inflammation.
Kaolin clay and rhassoul clay are well known for drawing impurities out gently.
Raspberry powder creates the rosy pink colour and is a power source of Vitamin C.
Orange and may chang essential oils give the cubes their fabulous scent.
The hardness from the cubes comes from stearic acid which is a natural derivative from butters and oils like shea and rapeseed oil.
How to use Body and Face Exfoliating Cubes:
All you need to do is take one or two cubes into the shower or bath and start massaging onto your skin and feel the exfoliation ..these are very mild exfoliating cubes making them suitable for all skin types and from face to toe.
Sintra Naturals oat and shea face mask cubes are a plastic-free alternative to traditional face masks. They have all the goodness of a face mask in a cube form which is easy to use and store. Just half a cube is enough for the face. These face mask cubes are suitable for dry, oily and sensitive skins no aromatherapy oils are used making them safe to use.
Natural ingredients of Oat and Shea Face Mask Cubes
French yellow clay is very good for detoxing the skin without stripping skin of its natural moisture, this clay is very gentle and non-abrasive leaves skin squeaky clean and glowing.
Colloidal oatmeal is a form of oatmeal that is specially made for cosmetic use this is not a normal oat flour. Oats are processed in a special way so that you get the maximum benefit from a tiny amount.
Safflower oil is the best for all kinds of skin types and is approved for use for oily and acne-prone skin too.
Allantoin for extra soothing and reduce puffiness and redness after using the face mask.
How to use Oat and Shea Face Mask Cubes:
- Take a cube and cut into half, wet the face and start rubbing the cube it will melt in contact and form a layer on the skin.
- You can use the whole cube if using on face and underarms.
- Leave the mask for 10min and wash off with lukewarm water or milk for best results.
- The lactic acid in the milk soothes skin if vegan you can wash the face with any plant-based milk.
Betty Hula secret wonder oil is 100% natural and made with high-quality ingredients and is suitable for even the most sensitive of skin. The Secret Wonder Oil helps repair damaged cells, combat dryness, banish wrinkles and promote radiance. Whether it’s delicately applied to the face or used on specific areas of your body, it’s a must-have multi-purpose product. Betty Hula wonder oil has a sophisticated floral scent, this oil is a true natural wonder which boosts the skin’s natural moisture barrier to leave skin super-soft.
Avocado Oil is good for dry and ageing skin. It is easily absorbed and is said to help with skin complaints such as eczema and dry or itchy skin. Avocado oil works well for ageing skin as it is believed to help improve the skin’s elasticity. A fabulous nourishing oil that can also be used on hair.
Olive oil soap green tea is made with green tea extracts that are rich in anti-oxidants and, therefore may delay skin ageing and prevent wrinkles. The soap has some antibacterial properties and is said to soothe skin irritations and help in the prevention of acne. The tea leaves in the soap help exfoliate and cleanse the skin. Whilst the olive oil extracts leave it feeling fresh and moisturised.
This soothing, mild, and gentle chamomile cleansing balm works wonders to calm your skin and restore hydration. The perfect hot cloth cleanser for removing makeup and cleansing skin. This amazing vegan-friendly skin balm is suitable for all skin types and works wonders for soothing problematic skin conditions. Beautifully presented in a glass jar with a metal lid, that can be recycled or better still repurposed into something new. An eco-friendly sustainable swap for your beauty routine.
What’s in Soothing Cleansing Balm Chamomile
- Shea butter restores your skin after a hard day under makeup.
- Castor Oil has the ability to pull impurities from skin layers
- Kaolin clay can combat environmental damage.
- Chamomile has fabulous soothing qualities.
How to use
Take a scoop of cleansing balm and warm it between your hands.
Work the balm gently onto your face and neck and massage thoroughly
If you are wearing eye make up spend a bit more time massaging the eyes.
Gently wipe your face clean with a warm cloth or flannel or just warm water.
We hope we’ve inspired you to make a few sustainable swaps to make your beauty routine easy and simple to achieve. If you need further guidance please feel free to send us an email and we will do our best to offer advice 🙂