Most people will only use the more common types of essential oils; such as lavender, peppermint & tea tree. When in fact there are many amazing benefits of grapefruit essential oil. Grapefruit essential oil has a fabulous uplifting scent that has far-reaching effects on the body and mind. Used as an energy booster it stimulates the nervous system, increasing alertness and focus.
Some of the therapeutic properties of grapefruit oil are diuretic, disinfectant, antidepressant, antiseptic, aperitif, stimulant, lymphatic and tonic cleanse.
- High in vitamin C, it helps protect against colds and flu and boosts the immune & lymphatic system.
- Due to its diuretic properties, it helps to remove excess water from the body and is therefore great for treating cellulite.
- Uplifting effect on the mood and helps with stress and depression.
- Stimulates the digestive system.
- Particularly good for treating oily skin and acne and it also provides a refreshing feeling on the skin.
- Stimulates the lymphatic system; thereby clearing the body of toxins.
- Used in hair care to cleanse your hair and scalp, helps reduce greasy hair.
- Combats muscle fatigue and stiffness.
Grapefruit activates the endocrine system, improving secretion of enzymes and hormones that drive the metabolic activities of the body. Grapefruit oil relieves adrenal fatigue that makes one lethargic. By increasing blood circulation and lymphatic circulation, it energizes the body by supplying oxygen to every tissue and organ system and removes toxins that clog them. Being a liver stimulant, it can also help you overcome a hangover.
How you can use Grapefruit Essential Oil
Oil Burners and Diffusers – add a few drops to stimulate the air. This will create a wonderful energising feeling, especially good when studying for exams!
Massage Oils – add a few drops to your favourite base oil and massage into skin. Will help with cellulite and muscle aches and cramps. You can also add a few drops to your bath water.
Creams and lotions – Used in a base cream or lotion grapefruit oil can help to clear greasy, congested and acne skin
Household Cleaning – Mix a few drops with water in a trigger spray and use to clean kitchen worktops or floors. Your home will smell amazing, fresh and clean!
Grapefruit essential oil is considered safe, but it might interact with certain medications, including antidepressants and blood pressure medications. Before adding grapefruit to your diet or using grapefruit oil as a natural medicinal remedy, check with your health care provider.
You also want to avoid direct sun exposure right after using grapefruit oil topically, as some citrus oils can increase photosensitivity. When using the oil on your skin, wait at least one hour before going into the sun.